- As in the above examples, Japanese speakers very often omit subjects whenever the subject is clear.
- To make the topic of conversation clear, add the particle は. XはYです will define thing X as item Y.
- 学生です。(I) am a student.
- 日本語です。(My major) is the Japanese language.
- To ask a question, add the particle か to the end of the sentence.
Showing Possession and Specifics
- の is a particle that can connect two nouns where the second noun provides the main idea and the first noun makes it more specific. It often acts like the possessive in English.
- たけしさんの電話番号 Takeshi’s phone number
- 大学の先生 A college professor
- 日本語の学生 A student of the Japanese language
- たけしさんのお母さんは高校の先生です。 Takeshi’s mother is a high school teacher.